1 cup pre-washed quinoa
2 cups water or vegetable broth
2 large eggs, beaten, divided
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup fresh wild mushrooms
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup white wine
Kosher salt, to taste
4 cups quality prepared pasta sauce
2 cups ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese for a lower-fat version)
2/3 cup grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese, divided
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
¼ cup fresh oregano leaves, torn
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 cups fresh greens (spinach, spicy braising greens, mustard greens, etc.)
1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
• In a medium saucepan with high sides, toast the quinoa over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Add the water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool slightly.
• Beat 1 egg and stir into the quinoa. Evenly spread the quinoa mixture in the prepared dish and press down with the back of a spoon to create a smooth, even bottom layer. Bake for 15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, wipe the saucepan, then add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and stir frequently, until it is transparent and starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir frequently, until mushrooms are softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
• Add the white wine and simmer until evaporated. Salt to taste. Add the garlic and the pasta sauce and heat through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta and remaining egg in a medium bowl and mix well. Add 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, basil, oregano and pepper.
• Spread 1/3 of the sauce over the baked quinoa. Cover the sauce with a layer of zucchini slices. Spread the cheese mixture over the zucchini in an even layer, then top the cheese with ½ of the remaining sauce, then all the greens. Finish with a final layer of the remaining sauce and cover with the shredded mozzarella.
• Bake the lasagna until it is hot and the cheese is melted and slightly browned around the edges, about 40 minutes. Top with the remaining Parmesan and switch the oven to broil. Broil until cheese is slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.