4 cups chicken stock
2 cups quinoa
¼ cup grated pecorino or Parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ lb. sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups washed, chopped greens (such as Swiss chard, kale or mustard greens)
• Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add the quinoa. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring periodically, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Let sit, covered, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Meanwhile, in a cast-iron skillet, brown the sausage over hot coals. Remove the browned meat from the skillet and set aside.
• In the remaining sausage fat, saute the onion until translucent. Add the red pepper and salt to taste. Cook 5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the greens. Season with salt and pepper, stirring to wilt the greens.
• When the vegetables are tender, return the sausage to the pan and season to taste. Remove from heat.
• To serve, divide the quinoa evenly among four bowls. Top each with the sausage and vegetables.