2 quarts water
½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, divided
8 pieces chicken, skin-on
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
½ Tbsp. smoked paprika
½ Tbsp. white pepper
¼ Tbsp. cayenne pepper
Frying oil, such as grapeseed, peanut or rice bran
Buttermilk, for dredging
• In a large pot, combine the water and ½ cup salt and stir to dissolve. Submerge the chicken and brine 4 to 6 hours.
• In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, the remaining 1 tablespoon salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
• Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Dredge in the flour mixture. Let sit, refrigerated and uncovered, 2 to 6 hours.
• In a deep cast-iron Dutch oven, heat the oil to 325 degrees.
• Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, and dredge again in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour and deep-fry 12 to 18 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees for dark meat or 150 degrees for white meat.
• Let the chicken rest 10 minutes on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.