1 lb. kielbasa or other smoked sausage, cut on the bias into ½-inch rounds
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups chopped kale
1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed
Freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
• Swirl some olive oil in a large saucepan. Heat the oil over medium heat and then brown the sausage in batches. Remove sausage to a bowl and reserve.
• Add the onion to the pan and sauté, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. When the onion is translucent, add the garlic and stir for a few moments until the garlic is fragrant.
• Add the sausage and any accumulated juices back to the pan and stir.
• Pour in the chicken broth and bring the soup to a simmer, then add the kale. Allow the soup to simmer until the kale is tender, about 15 minutes, or more if you like it softer.
• Add the beans to the soup and simmer until the beans are heated through.
• Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with a few grinds of black pepper and sprinkle with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
•Serve the soup with crusty bread and good cheese for a hearty, warming meal that will make you feel better from the inside out.