2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup pearl onions
1 lb. bay scallops
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup Chardonel or other dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock or broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1½ cups frozen or fresh peas
Juice of ½ lemon
3 Tbsp. finely chopped herbs such as thyme, oregano and rosemary
• Heat the olive oil in a pan and sautÃ© the onions until light brown. Remove them from the pan and save them in a small bowl.
• Set the stove to medium heat and add the scallops to the pan. Brown them for a minute or so, and then turn them. Continue to turn the scallops until they are cooked through. This will take about another minute. Remove the scallops from the pan and set aside.
• Add the garlic to the pan and sautÃ© briefly.
• Add the wine and bring it to a boil, stirring to remove any browned bits. Add the chicken stock or broth and bring it to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
• Return the onions to the pan and simmer them until they are tender. Add the peas and cook until tender.
• Return the scallops to the pan and add the lemon juice. Add the herbs.
• Cook the stew until the scallops are warm. Serve immediately.