4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cups long-grain white rice
½ tsp. salt
2 shallots, chopped fine
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
¼ cup currants
3 to 4 cups chicken stock
¼ to ½ cup mostarda, large pieces chopped
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, stemmed and chopped
• Melt the butter over medium heat in a large cast-iron skillet or a Dutch oven.
• Add the rice and stir until well-coated and lightly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
• Add the salt, shallots, almonds, currants and 3 cups of chicken stock.
• Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to the lowest simmer.
• Uncover the pot. If needed, add more stock and stir quickly.
• Fold a clean kitchen towel in half or fourths, place over the top of the skillet or Dutch oven, and replace the lid.
• Cook for 10 minutes longer.
• Remove the cover and stir in the mostarda. Replace the cover and allow the pilaf to sit for an additional 10 minutes.
• Stir in the parsley and serve.