1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 cup diced sweet white onions
2 tsp. sambal oelek*
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
2 large or 3 small Asian pears, peeled, cored and diced
½ cup rice wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup apple juice
2 tsp. fresh-squeezed lime juice
Zest from 1 lime, cut into thin slivers
• Heat a heavy-bottomed 2- or 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the canola oil and heat until it begins to shimmer.
•Add the onions, sambal oelek and ginger. Sauté 8 to 10 minutes.
• Add the pears and the vinegar. Stir to combine, lower the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes. The vinegar should reduce by half.
• Taste and, if necessary, add salt and pepper.
• Pour in the apple juice and stir. Reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. The pears should be soft but not mushy; you want to see the chunks of pear.
• Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice.
• Cool to room temperature. Place the chutney in a serving dish and top with lime zest strips.
* Sambal oelek can be very hot. Taste carefully – a very small bit on the tip of the spoon with no seeds – to see if you want to adjust for heat.