2 medium eggplants
2 medium zucchini
2 large baking potatoes
3 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for grilling
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 lbs. ground lamb
1 14-oz. can chopped tomatoes
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. dried Greek oregano
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1½ cups grated mizithra cheese
Cream sauce (Click here to find the recipe.)
½ cup bread crumbs
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Peel the eggplants and slice them lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
• Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and let them stand for about 30 minutes to remove the bitter taste. Rinse them in cold water and pat dry.
• Slice the zucchini lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices, then rinse them in cold water and pat dry.
• Peel the potatoes, cut them into discs and place in a bowl of cold water. Pat them dry when ready to cook.
• Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil, coating them well, and place them either on the grill or under the broiler to brown. Once they have browned, set them aside.
• Repeat the process with the zucchini and potatoes.
• In a large skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil until tender, then remove to a bowl.
• Add the ground lamb to the skillet and brown well.
• Drain any fat from the skillet.
• Stir the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, sautéed onion and garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano and cinnamon into the meat.
• Simmer the meat mixture, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove from the heat.
• Stir in ½ cup mizithra cheese.
• To assemble the moussaka, place a layer of cooked potatoes in a greased 9-by-13-inch baking pan, followed by a layer of cooked eggplant.
• Spoon the meat mixture on top of the eggplant.
• Place a layer of zucchini on top of the meat, and if you have more eggplant, place a layer on top of the zucchini.
• Sprinkle with half of the remaining cheese.
• Ladle the cream sauce on top of the cheese.
• Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and the bread crumbs.
• Bake for 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
• Cool for at least 15 minutes prior to cutting into squares and serving.