2 Tbsp. coriander seeds
2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. cardamom seeds
½ tsp. whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick, broken
½ tsp. ground turmeric
2 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 onions, finely chopped
¼ cup grated ginger
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 chile peppers, seeded and minced (or more to taste) or 1 to 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
½ cup plain yogurt
1 cup chicken stock
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 cups cooked basmati rice
• In a dry skillet, toast the coriander, cumin, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon separately over medium heat until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the spices or the curry will be bitter.
• Let the spices cool, then grind them in a spice grinder to a fine powder.
• Stir in the turmeric and salt.
• Heat the oil on medium in a large frying pan and brown the chicken thighs, skin side down.
• Remove the chicken and add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
• Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
• Add the dry spice mixture, the chiles, vinegar, yogurt and stock.
• Return the chicken to the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
• Place the chicken on a serving platter. Skim off the fat from the liquid and pour the sauce over the chicken.
• Garnish with cilantro and serve with basmati rice.