1 onion, peeled and quartered
3 sprigs thyme
Extra virgin olive oil
2 cup grits
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
½ stick butter
1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
• Prepare the grill.
• Wrap onion and thyme in foil, drizzle with olive oil and seal the foil.
• Place the foil packs on the grill for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the packet is soft when you squeeze it with tongs.
• Remove the packets from the grill, take out the thyme sprigs and coarsely chop the onion.
• Meanwhile, mix the grits, chicken broth, water and butter in a disposable aluminum pan, or cast iron pan with a lid and stir well. Cover tightly, place on the grill and close the lid.
• After 15 minutes, remove the lid, stir in the cheese and re-cover. Put the grits back on the grill for 10 more minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
• Remove from the grill, stir in chopped onion and horseradish, and serve.