3 to 4 lbs. leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 Tbsp. salted butter
1 tsp. vegetable or canola oil
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp. crushed thyme
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 to 4 medium red potatoes, cut in half
6 to 8 small white onions, whole
1 24-oz. pkg. frozen peas
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, washed quickly* and sliced
1/3 cup flour
1 cup milk
• Brown the lamb cubes with the butter and the oil in a large Dutch oven.
• Add the water, broth and seasonings. Cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
• Skim off any surface fat. Add the garlic, potatoes and onions and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
• Add the frozen peas and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are done. Add the sliced mushrooms.
• Bring the stew back to a boil. Meanwhile, whisk the flour into the milk until it’s smooth. Add this mixture to the stew and boil for 1 minute.
• Reduce the heat and allow the stew to thicken. Season the stew to taste and serve.
*Fresh mushrooms absorb water, so quick washing is essential. Some cooks use a wet paper towel to clean each mushroom.