3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 oz. pancetta, diced (or bacon)
1 15-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes (with their juice)
2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp. herbes de Provence
3 cups freshly chopped kale
1 slice day-old bread, roughly torn into pieces
Parmesan cheese for serving
• Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery and pancetta. Saute for 5 minutes.
• Add the tomatoes and juice, cannellini beans, chicken broth and herbes de Provence and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 1 hour, or until the beans break down.
• Stir in the kale and torn bread.
• Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture to a thick, “porridge-like” consistency.
• Serve with Parmesan cheese.