2¼ cups uncooked Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf*
4½ cups chicken broth, plus additional as needed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1½ cups assortment of finely diced red, yellow and orange bell peppers
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
2 Italian sausage links, broiled, cut into thin discs and halved
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
2 Tbsp. capers, drained, for garnish
Zest of 1 lemon for garnish
1 DAY BEFORE SERVING
• Rinse the Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf in cold water.
• In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. Cover, reduce to a simmer and let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the broth is absorbed and the grains are tender. (If necessary, add ¼ cup more broth or water to prevent the grains from scorching or sticking.) Let cool, then store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
DAY OF SERVING
• Over medium-low heat, warm the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic. When it begins to soften, about 1 minute later, turn the heat to medium-high and add the peppers and onions and let cook for 3 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for another few minutes, or until the onions begin to brown.
• Remove the cooked grains from the fridge and reheat. Transfer the warmed grains, sauteed vegetables and sausage pieces to a large serving bowl. Stir gently to combine. Season with herbs, salt and pepper.
• Fold in the pine nuts and garnish with capers and lemon zest.
• Serve warm or at room temperature.
* Available at Golden Grocer, goldengrocer.com