2½-lb. rotisserie chicken
Half of an onion
2 celery stalks
2-inch piece lemongrass, smashed with the side of a knife
1-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled, sliced and smashed with the side of a knife
3 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a knife
4 to 5 whole black peppercorns
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. whole cloves
2 whole star anise
1 Tbsp. sugar, plus more to taste
1 tsp. fish sauce, plus more to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 10-oz. package of rice noodles, prepared per package instructions
Fresh cilantro for garnish
Thai basil for garnish
Bean sprouts for garnish
Jalapeño slices for garnish
Lime wedges for garnish
• Pull the skin from the chicken and discard it. Remove the meat from the bone; shred and set aside.
• Place the carcass in a large stockpot with the onion, carrots, celery, lemongrass, ginger, garlic and peppercorns. Add enough water to cover everything by about 1 inch. Bring to a simmer.
• Meanwhile, heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat and add the coriander, cloves and star anise. Toast until fragrant, being careful not to burn the spices.
• Add the toasted spices to the broth. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, skimming any foam that rises to the surface.
• Remove all solids and strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
• Stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of fish sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt, pepper, fish sauce or sugar as desired.
• Ladle the broth into 4 bowls.
• Divide the shredded chicken and rice noodles between the bowls. Serve with fresh cilantro, Thai basil, bean sprouts, jalapeño slices and lime wedges sprinkled on top or on the side.